PRIMARY FUNCTION/POSITION SUMMARY:
The Warhol cataloguer will contribute to the production of all Warhol publications, both online and print, throughout the duration of the project. Responsibilities include processing the consigned works of art for sale, including research and catalogue entry writing and proofing; coordination of photography, and varying duties as dictated by the size of the Warhol project and the frequency of sales. This role reports directly to the Warhol Project Manager/E-Commerce Business Manager.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS (Duties include but are not limited to the following):
- Catalogue and inventory property for E-Commerce and private sales using libraries, on-line databases, the internet, and outside experts (such as curators, dealers, publishers, etc.) in complete and proofed Christie’s format.
- Research property’s bibliography, provenance and exhibition history.
- Update accurate titling information in the pre-receipting details at the point of manuscripting.
- Write and prepare catalogue essays.
- Proof all cataloguing with specialists before submitting final proof to Catalogue Production.
- Prepare property for hilling sessions (meetings to determine value, condition and marketability of property); and amend catalogue sheets after hilling sessions.
- Prepare and manage condition reports and notify specialist early on if he/she believes a work may not be sellable due to condition/cost prohibitive conservation.
- Flag any authenticity concerns and condition issues in timely manner to appropriate specialist.
- Assist with production of sale related materials where needed.
- Coordinate photography, restoration, copyright approval.
- Serve as primary liaison with outside experts.
- Maintain sale images in media library (monitor progress, liaise with photo studio on missing images, deadline constraints).
- Participate in Telephone Bidding with clients during the auction.
- Other duties as assigned by Manager. QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS:
- Bachelor’s degree in the fine or decorative art category preferred.
- Master’s degree preferred.
- Minimum 2 years paid experience in the Arts.
- Knowledge of E-mail, Spreadsheet, Word Processing and Presentation software (Microsoft Office preferred).
- Ability to learn Christie’s systems including Siebel, Property System, intranet and website.
- Strong typing skills.
- Ability to process large volumes of artwork, keep them organized throughout the sale process and be ready to report any issues that may arise regarding the work to the Project Manager.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, including superior written and spoken communication. Ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task and prioritize.
- Strong follow-up skills with attention to detail.