Assistant Librarian – The Menil Collection, Houston, TX
The Assistant Librarian manages the cataloging and physical processing of the Menil Library collection, maintains and administers the integrated library system and is responsible for maintenance of the stacks. The position also handles incoming and outgoing inter-library loans and works with the Head Librarian on all aspects of the running of the library, as well as working collaboratively with other museum staff and departments on research and other projects.
- Catalog all acquisitions and selected archival materials in the library’s integrated library system.
- Maintain authority control in the online public access catalog.
- Shelve and file library materials including books and vertical file materials.
- Produce a monthly new title list of all library acquisitions and other reports.
- Maintain library circulations records.
- Perform periodic inventories of the library books and periodical collections.
- Process, check in, and catalog serials.
- Manage both incoming and outgoing interlibrary loan requests.
- Supervise volunteers responsible for shelving and clerical duties.
- Provide research and reference services to museum staff and outside researchers.
- Aid in development and implementation of digital projects.
- ALA accredited Master’s Degree in Library and Information Science.
- Knowledge of library cataloging standards (RDA, MaRC, AACR, etc.).
- Experience with integrated library systems and database management.
- Experience with digitization and non-bibliographic metadata standards.
- Ability to lift 30 lbs.
- Knowledge of art museum practices.
- Knowledge of a modern European language (German or French preferred).
- Bachelor’s degree in Art or Art History highly preferred.
To apply, please send resume, cover letter, and salary expectation to: Director of Human Resources, the Menil Collection, 1511 Branard Street, Houston, Texas 77006. Application materials may also be emailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org.