The New York State Historical Association, Fenimore Art Museum and The Farmers’ Museum seek an innovative, outgoing and highly motivated new member of the Research Library team. The librarian filling this new position will coordinate all of the ways in which users first interact with the Library and Museums in planning their visits for research purposes.
Acting as a “concierge” of sorts, the Outreach Librarian/Research Support Services Coordinator will connect users with all of the institutions’ resources in their many diverse formats. Our current users include museum staff and curators, members, scholars in the arts and humanities, genealogists, local history buffs, Graduate Students and Faculty in the Cooperstown Graduate Program for Museum Studies, American Folk and Fine art collectors and researchers, as well as independent curators, curators from other institutions, and donors to Special Collections.
The position is a permanent, part time and year round (20-25 hours per week with some seasonal fluctuations). This position has the potential to become full time at a future date. This is not a grant-dependent position.
* Interfacing with all library researchers, including some reference desk duties.
* Develop procedures and coordinate appointments for researchers, coordinating resources and on-site use by all Library Special Collection and Museum Collection users by liaising with the curators and librarians responsible for those collecting areas
* Coordinate database of library donors in conjunction with the Development Department
* Coordinate all incoming research requests working with the library team to ensure that responses are distributed in a timely manner
* Coordinate complete overhaul of the library’s website and social media activities with the Director for Museum and Library Collections and Director of Marketing; including integration of new OPAC into website “front door”
* Develop guides, materials, programs, and resources to enhance ease of access and positive user experience
* Participate in collection development, strategic planning, and cataloging workflows as needed
* Assist in development of new library audiences
* Participate in ongoing evaluation of policies and procedures
Required Qualifications include:
* Masters of Library Science from an ALA accredited program
* Demonstrated experience in public service and specialty library programming
* Demonstrated experience in project management and coordination
* Demonstrated experience working with library special collections and/or museum collections
* Understanding of and experience in conducting archival research, and familiarity with a wide variety of primary resources (broadsides, maps, archives, oral histories, prints, photographs, museum objects, etc.)
* Experience as an effective part of a team
* Experience with OCLC Connexion & MARC format
* Familiarity with Islandora and Fedora Commons
* Experience with museum collection databases
To apply, submit a digital cover letter and resume to: email@example.com