The Thomas J. Watson Library at the Metropolitan Museum of Art is seeking candidates for a temporary part-time Archives Assistant position. The position is 14 hours per week for six months, working on a project to survey archival materials held by curatorial and other departments throughout the Museum under the direction of the Chief Librarian and Managing Archivist.
Primary Responsibilities and Duties
- Survey archival materials in Museum offices to determine number of distinct collections, their physical extent and condition, preservation needs, and research potential
- Enter information about archival collections into survey database.
Requirements and Qualifications
Experience and Skills
- Basic knowledge of preservation and conservation practices for historical records required.
- Familiarity with archival surveys, and with standards for the arrangement and description of archival collections required.
- Experience entering information into Microsoft Access or similar database required.
- Strong oral communication skills required.
Knowledge and Education
- BA degree in art history, history or related field required.
- Some coursework completed towards Masters Degree in Library Science, Information Science, or History/Archival Management required.
Please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com , with “archives assistant” in the subject line.