Click here to go to posting.
Reporting to the Head Librarian, the Associate Librarian will be responsible for the following: overseeing database research resources; providing training in the use of these resources; maintaining relationships with the database vendors; cataloguing books in an ongoing retrospective conversion project; providing reference and research services; overseeing check-in of auction catalogues and generating price lists; managing Christie’s Library Intern program; and representing Christie’s at professional organizational meetings.
- Oversee a variety of research databases made available to Christie’s globally. The Associate Librarian will be responsible for maintaining these databases on a daily basis by fielding any problems as they arise: liaising with staff, vendor and IT. Includes invoicing and budgeting.
- Provide formal and informal training on available research resources and instruct new staff and interns on how to use them.
- Reference and research to support the art and business research needs of Christie’s staff.
Check in approximately 1200 auction catalogues per year, and monthly generate and tip price lists in each catalogue. Prepare binding.
- Continue an ongoing retrospective conversion project in departmental libraries.
- Recruit and oversee library interns.
- Represent Christie’s at professional organizational meetings.
- Other duties as assigned by manager.
Skills and Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in Art History preferred; MLS degree strongly preferred; or equivalent work experience.
- Minimum of 1-3 years of related work experience.
- Knowledge of online resources, including proficiency with art database programs and the Internet.
- Knowledge of Inmagic Genie or a similar web based integrated library system.
- Knowledge of E-mail, Spreadsheet, Word Processing and Presentation software (Microsoft Office preferred).
- Strong typing skills.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, including superior written and spoken communication.
- Superior client service skills.
- Ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task and prioritize.
- Strong follow-up skills with attention to detail.
- Knowledge of a second language preferred.