Publications Co-ordinator (Part-time)
Architecture & Planning
Dalhousie University is a vibrant community of 12 faculties, 6,000 faculty and staff, and 18,500 students. An influential driver of the region’s intellectual, social and economic development, Dalhousie has campuses in Halifax and Truro and a satellite of its Medical School in Saint John, New Brunswick. The university, poised to celebrate 200 years of academic excellence in 2018, is united in a purpose-driven quest to make a lasting impact on the world. For the fourth consecutive year, Dalhousie is proud to be named one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers.
Dalhousie Architecture Press (DAP) is an academic press, based in the Faculty of Architecture and Planning of Dalhousie University. The Press publishes books and monographs on Canadian architecture, design research, urban design and development. It seeks to foster a wider appreciation of architecture and its allied disciplines in Canada, by featuring the work of exemplary practitioners and researchers, past and present, and providing a critical context for a broader discussion of the built environment. The Press is seeking a Publications Coordinator who will strengthen it and enhance its profile in the design, scholarly and publishing communities in Canada and internationally. This position reports to the Dean of Architecture and Planning and has a great deal of autonomy.
• Develop and implement a publishing strategy for the Press, in close collaboration for the Dean, and manage all aspects of the operations of the press. Execute the day-to-day activities of the Press in alignment with the strategic directions set out by the DAP Editorial Board.
• Oversee, coordinate and manage the publication of books, as selected by the DAP Board from proposal to publication through collaboration with authors, editors, designers, printing house, distributors and funding agencies to achieve publication of books.
• Develop and implement effective marketing strategies for DAP publications and liaise with the DAP Board, regional, national and international media outlets, scholarly and professional societies, and funding agencies.
• Provide assistance to DAP web site design and maintain the Faculty web sites.
• Formulate annual semiannual budgets for DAP revenues and expenses and monitor financial performance.
A university degree preferably in visual arts, architecture or an allied design field. Significant knowledge, experience and skills related to the publishing enterprise including book production, international distribution, financial management, marketing and promotion required. Ability to develop new models for book production, financing and to implement innovative strategies to promote DAP publications. Experience in graphic design and web site design and maintenance will be an asset. An affinity with architecture and design is desirable. Candidates selected for interview will be asked to provide a portfolio of previous publishing work
As an employer of choice, Dalhousie University offers an attractive total compensation package, including a defined benefit pension plan, health and dental plans, a health spending account, an employee and family assistance plan, and a tuition assistance program.
Apply on line by February 28, 2015
Salary Range: $49,255 – $60,068 (32.5 hours per week) (Technologist -T9) (This is a provisional classification. Formal classification procedures will be initiated by the Compensation & Job Evaluation Unit in approximately six months)
This is a Part-time position at 80% Full Time Equivalency (FTE). This position is part of the Nova Scotia Government and General Employees Union Local 77 (NSGEU).