The Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender Historical Society in San Francisco seeks a Project Archivist to assist with surveying, processing and creating finding aids for photographic and audiovisual collections. This is temporary, one year position funded by a National Historical Publications and Records Commission grant. Salary is between $46,000-50,000, depending on qualifications.
– Master’s degree in Library Science from a school that is accredited by the American Library Association
– Minimum two years of professional experience as an archivist
– Experience with photographic materials and audiovisual formats
– Experience encoding finding aids and/or posting guides on the Online Archive of California
– Familiarity with current standards for arrangement and description of manuscript and archival collections, including metadata structure standards (e.g., EAD, Dublin Core), metadata content standards (e.g., DACS) and Library of Congress authorities; and working knowledge of “more product, less process” processing practices
– Excellent writing and computer skills, including proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel and FileMaker Pro
– Ability to work well independently in an efficient and detailed manner, collaborate as part of a team, prioritize tasks and balance projects
– Ability to lift and carry boxes up to 40 pounds and carry out other physical activities associated with processing archival collections
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.