This is a Young Canada Works jobs for a recent graduate under 30 years of age:
It’s a six month contract cataloguing photographs and slides, and the deadline to apply is July 25th.
Term of employment: $15.00/hr for 40 hrs/week – 6 month position – 8 Sept 2014 – 20 Feb 2015 (There can be some flexibility with the start date as long as the candidate can complete 24 weeks before March 23rd 2015.)
Overall responsibility: to catalogue a large archival fonds of photographs. The collection dates from approximately 1986-1999 and is comprised of 35mm slide film.
Key areas of responsibility:
- Arrangement and description of a large archival collection
- Cataloguing into our online database (ICA-AtoM) using the Rules of Archival Description (RAD)
- Re-house photographs into archivally safe housing.
The successful applicant will possess the following skills and abilities:
- Recent graduate (must have graduated in the past 2 years)
- Minimum 4 years of post-secondary education
- Interest in history and/or museum studies
- Internally motivated and demonstrates initiative
- Reliable and professional work standards
- Good organizational skills and attention to detail
- Customer service skills
- Works cooperatively with others and is flexible
- Computer literate
The following would be an asset but are not essential:
Masters or Diploma in archives management or similar
Experience with Museum and/or archive principles, materials, methods and practices
Knowledge of RAD