The Junior Interaction Designer assists in the development and implementation of strategies and creative methods for a range of interactive products that enhance and augment the Artstor platform.
Developing design prototypes for new and existing Web and mobile applications, the Junior Interaction Designer is responsible for contributing to exceptional Artstor user experience through Information Architecture, UX Design, and Usability Testing.
As a member of the technology team, the Junior Interaction Designer is involved in all aspects of developing documentation, including use cases, site requirements, transaction flows, navigation models, user interface components, and especially wireframes and design comps. Under the direction of the Information Architect, the Junior Interaction Designer aids the development and effective application of high-quality user interfaces and solutions.
- Conceptualize solutions in collaboration with user researches, stakeholders, and project development teams
- Participate in conceptual development with project teams to generate innovative ideas.
- Scope and develop technical requirements with assistance from the Technology department.
- Work under the direction of the Information Architect to help develop and execute a consistent, creative vision for all deliverables throughout all production phases.
- Develop and implement a consistent and quality visual style guide across software platforms
- Illustrate scenarios, storyboards, wireframes, and design comps to communicate design concepts to team members and product groups.
- Document feature/software behavior in detail through use cases, user personas, storyboards, wireframes, concise site maps, transaction flows, diagrams, interface schematics, and help manuals.
- Represent the interests of the information/interaction design team in company digital initiatives
- Ensure that progress is made in a timely and efficient manner.
- Contribute to the design culture and process at Artstor
The Junior Interaction Designer must have a firm grounding in the principles of graphic and interaction design. The candidate will be energetic and flexible, have keen interpersonal and communication skills, have the ability to work closely with a small dedicated team in a fast-paced environment, and will be committed to the delivery of high-quality service to users in the educational and arts community. The ideal candidate will be able to take direction, work independently and in a self-directed manner, and demonstrate the ability to work cooperatively with professional staff members in all sectors, internally and externally.
- 1-3 years creating visual designs for BOTH interactive and non-interactive design work
- Visual portfolio demonstrating firm understanding and working knowledge of the principles of graphic and interaction design, including color, composition, and narrative sequence.
- Demonstrated ability to work with typography and complex grids to bring clarity to complex systems.
- Web design experience along with familiarity with Web standards and accessibility.
- Familiarity with client and server side development
- Experience working with information architects, programmers, and designers.
- Unflinching attention to detail.
- Excellent communication skills — oral, written, listening, presentation.
- Ability to research, understand, and organize specialized content.
- Proven ability to multi-task and to be extremely well organized.
- Undergraduate degree in graphic design, interaction design or related fields. Degree holders from other disciplines will also be considered as long as visual competency is demonstrated through a portfolio of works.
- Proficiency in the Adobe Creative Suite, including Adobe InDesign, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Photoshop.
- Experience working with controlled vocabularies/authorities.
- Understanding of image/multimedia cataloging practices.
- Experience working in an agile development process.
Artstor is a nonprofit organization with a mission to use digital technology to enhance scholarship, teaching, and learning in the arts and sciences. We bring together 1.8 million high-quality images for education and research and offer the tools to catalog, manage, and distribute digital media collections. Artstor is headquartered in New York, NY.
Artstor is an equal opportunity employer. We offer a competitive salary, excellent benefits and a collegial working environment. Nominations and applications, including a cover letter, resume, and salary history should be emailed to:firstname.lastname@example.org.