The Eberly Family Special Collections Library
Pennsylvania State University Libraries
The Pennsylvania State University Libraries seek applications and nominations for the position of Kidd Collection Archivist. The person appointed to this fixed-term faculty position will arrange and describe original drawings, manuscripts, collectibles, email, websites, digital graphic design files and other related materials from the collection of designer and author Chip Kidd, using national and local standards, along with other related duties. The position is a one-year appointment with possibility of renewal and will report to the Archivist for Collection Management. It is funded in part by the Dorothy Foehr Huck Chair endowment.
- Arranges and describes the Chip Kidd Collection. Time permitting, this position may also process additions to other high priority literary and graphic arts collections.
- Creates EAD findings aid(s) using local processing standards according to best national practice.
- Works with the Head of the Special Collections Library and other staff to create an exhibit of the Kidd Collection for spring 2015.
- Uses social media, such as the Special Collections blog, to give regular updates on progress with the collection and helps publicize its value to research community.
- Performs regular reporting of metrics for processing project(s).
- May supervise interns or student assistants.
- Provides reference service to faculty, students, and other researchers on a rotating basis, including occasional weekend duty.
- Participates in local, regional, or national professional organizations; enriches professional expertise by attending conferences and continuing-education opportunities.
- MLS/MLIS from an ALA-accredited program, or a Masters degree in Information Science, Archival Science, or a related field.
- Experience with arrangement and description of archival and manuscript collections, such as that gained through a graduate internship or assistantship appointment.
- Working knowledge of archival and descriptive standards, including DACS, EAD, MARC, LCSH, and Dublin Core.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and organizational skills.
- Excellent technical skills, including experience with Microsoft Office, cataloging systems, and EAD authoring tools.
- Ability to work effectively, both independently and collaboratively, in a collegial environment.
- Familiarity with emerging strategies for processing born-digital materials
- Knowledge of graphic design and modern American literature
- Experience using the Archivist’s Toolkit and/or ArchivesSpace
Position available May 1, 2014; May 2014 graduates of archival graduate programs who meet the required qualifications will be considered.
The Eberly Family Special Collections Library at University Park holds more than 200,000 printed volumes, over 25 million archival records and manuscripts, and another million photographs, maps, prints, and audio-visual items. More information about all special collections in the University Libraries is available online at http://www.libraries.psu.edu/psul/speccolls.html.
The University Park campus is set in the State College area, a university town located in the heart of central Pennsylvania. State College offers a vibrant community with outstanding recreational facilities, a low crime rate, and excellent public schools. The campus is within a half-day drive to Washington D.C., Baltimore, Philadelphia, New York City, and Pittsburgh. The University Park Airport is served by three major carriers with flights to Washington, Philadelphia, and Detroit. For more information, please www.libraries.psu.edu and www.cbicc.org.
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. Fringe benefits include liberal vacation, excellent insurance and health care coverage, state or TIAA/CREF retirement options, and educational privileges.
Send a letter of application, resume, and the names and contact information of three references to Search Committee, The Pennsylvania State University, Box KCA-LIBJ, 511 Paterno Library, University Park, PA 16802, or to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please be sure and reference Box KCA-LIBJ in the email subject line. Review of candidates will begin on March 10, 2014and continue until the position is filled. Employment will require successful completion of background check(s) in accordance with University policies.
Penn State is committed to affirmative action, equal opportunity, and the diversity of its workforce.