via Chronicle of Higher Education
The Temple University Libraries seek an engaged, creative and enthusiastic librarian to serve as rare books curator and cataloger for our Special Collections Research Center. SCRC is located on the main campus of Temple, a vibrant, urban research university with over 1,700 full-time faculty and a student body of 36,000 that is among the most diverse in the nation. For more information about Temple and Philadelphia, visit http://www.temple.edu/about/.
Required Education and Experience:
- ALA-accredited Master’s degree in library and information science.
- At least one year of professional experience teaching and interpreting rare and other book collections to students and faculty.
- At least one year of professional experience performing original cataloging of rare books or special collections.
Required Skills and Abilities:
- Working knowledge of book history and the book arts.
- Demonstrated knowledge of MARC and non-MARC metadata formats, standards, and schema, including DCRM, AAT, and LCSH.
- Ability to work in and contribute to a team environment.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
Preferred Skills and Abilities:
- Second graduate degree in a discipline related to Temple collections such as English, History, or Art History.
- Knowledge of RDA, METS, MODS, and FRBR.
- Working knowledge of Latin; working knowledge of German, Spanish, or French.
To apply for this position, please visit www.temple.edu, click on Careers@Temple, and reference TU-16517. For full consideration, please submit your completed electronic application, along with a cover letter and resume. Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.