Job Opening: Architectural Archivist
Safdie Architects currently has an opening for an architectural archivist to assume oversight and responsibility for the Safdie Archive at McGill University, with a primary focus on preparing project materials for shipment to and inclusion in the archive.
The Safdie Archive is one of the most extensive individual collections of architectural documentation. Containing drawings, models and other design materials, as well as an online inventory or hypermedia archive, the collection has been housed at McGill University in Montreal since 1990. The selected candidate will take organizational leadership of existing project-related materials at the Safdie Architects’ office and act as primary liaison with staff at McGill to preserve and expand the archive.
- Working with Moshe Safdie and the architectural staff, determine significance of source material.
- Organize, catalogue and transfer materials to McGill and other archival locations, including assignment of copyright and assessed values.
- Manage the processing and preservation of original sketches and models.
- Maintain other electronic material organization, including video, film, publications and articles.
- Oversee materials for exhibit and lending, as appropriate.
- Work with the communications and marketing staff on special projects.
Preference given to candidates with:
- Advanced degree(s) in library science, architecture, art history, or equivalent degree or equivalent professional experience
- Strong knowledge of archival standards and collections management
- Understanding of the design and built environment
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Excellent communication, attention to detail, organizational and project management skills
- Equal opportunity employer
- Full-time position, with competitive salary and benefits
- Candidates must be authorized to work in the US
Resumes to: email@example.com. No phone calls please.