The Museum of Modern Art is currently accepting applications for a Department Assistant in the Museum Library and Archives. The Department Assistant performs a variety of administrative duties with varying degrees of complexity, requiring familiarity with art and cultural history, an awareness of contemporary cultural events, and ability to deal diplomatically with constituent groups. This position reports to the Chief of Library and Museum Archives and Sr. Museum Archivist. Specific responsibilities and requirements follow:
• Provides administrative support to the Chief of Library and Museum Archives.
• Works with supervisors on annual budget preparation.
• Processes accounts payable and receivable and monitors departmental spending
• Plans and organizes meetings and events for both departments and constituent groups, including Trustee and Advisory Committees on Museum Archives, Library and Research, and the Library Council.
• Tracks dues payment for both the Trustee Committee and the Library Council, as well as gifts and grants for specific projects for both departments.
• Works with Library Council editor on yearly artist book project.
• Tracks and records staff attendance on a weekly basis.
• Oversees maintenance of physical plant and relations with outside service vendors.
• Serves as liaison to Information Technology department.
• Coordinates outgoing Library exchange program.
• Enters Museum Archives research requests into Access database.
• Provides administrative support for archival research functions, including fact-checking, drafting letters, pulling materials, and scheduling appointments.
• Performs related administrative support activities, including photocopying, filing, answering phones, ordering supplies, etc.
Bachelor’s degree, with a major or minimum of 16 credits in Art History, Humanities, and knowledge of modern art. A minimum of three years of administrative experience relevant to the position. Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, Gmail, and other standard office procedures and equipment. Excellent administrative and organizational skills. Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Ability to take direction and work as part of a team. Experience with PeopleSoft preferred.
Please submit resume and cover letter, which must include salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please reference the position title in the subject line.