via LibGig Jobs
Catalog Librarian, Maryland Institute College of Art
The Catalog Librarian will provide access to the collections of the Decker Library through the online catalog. This position will provide accurate online cataloging records for library holdings. These records include uniform searchable access points for authors, titles, series and subjects. This position will be responsible for the integrity of online cataloging records and library holdings. The Catalog Librarian will administer Cataloging and Serials modules of the SIRSI Online Cataloging System. The position reports directly to the Director of Decker Library.
- Provide online bibliographic records for all Decker Library acquisitions through derivative or original cataloging
- Replace or remove missing titles from online catalog
- Correct bibliographic descriptions (including author and subject headings) to improve searching functionality of the online catalog ; correct errors in call numbers to improve functionality of shelf browsing; correct or add item ID’s to allow book circulation
- Develop and revise local cataloging policy in accordance with policies of Library of Congress, The American Library Association and OCLC; update and maintain Decker Library Cataloging Manual
- Instruct Reference and MRC staff in editing of bibliographic records to be added to the collections
- Monitor SIRSI and cataloging listservs and blogs (e.g. AUTOCAT, RDA Blog) and attend conferences and webinars for applicable information
- Oversee changes to SIRSI Cataloging and Serials modules as needed
- Provide assistance at Reference Desk and Circulation Desk as needed
- Perform other related duties as assigned
- Knowledge of: Anglo-American Cataloging Rules, 2nd ed., rev; familiarity with FRBR and RDA (Resource Description & Access); Library of Congress authority, cataloging, subject analysis and classification rules and policies; USMARC bibliographic and holdings formats; SIRSI administrative system;
- A broad knowledge of art and art history in order to analyze subject matter and assign proper access points and call numbers
- General knowledge of manual and online reference tools
- General knowledge of circulation commands and policies.
- Excellent computer skills required for use of SIRSI, OCLC Connexion Client, RDA Toolkit, and LC Classification Web
- Knowledge of Microsoft Applications
- Excellent proofreading skills
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to keep abreast of changes in national and international cataloging policies and apply them locally as needed
- Ability to explain complicated information in a clear and concise manner
- Ability to work amicably with colleagues and library patrons
- Successful Candidate will be required to complete a full background check
- MLS from ALA accredited institution or equivalent in experience
- Minimum of 3 years original cataloging experience at an academic institution; background in fine art and/or art history; bibliographic knowledge of at least one western European language (German, French, and/or Italian)
Valued but not required:
- MA or BA in art history, or an MFA or BFA in fine art, or similar educational background and experience.
Salary: negotiable and commensurate with experience; includes extensive benefits package.
A review of applications will begin immediately; job announcement will remain open until position is filled.
To be considered for this position, please apply online include a letter of interest with desired salary, current resume, and 3 professional references.
No phone calls.
Should you experience any difficulty with, or have questions concerning the online application process please refer to Interview Exchange’s Frequently Asked Questions or submit a Help Ticket to the Help Desk.