via Latest ALA Job Listings
This is a new position. We are seeking a dynamic and innovative Instructional Services Librarian to develop and coordinate the library’s instructional program. Our objectives are to promote information literacy, visual literacy, critical thinking, and research skills for both studio and non-studio practices through multiple modalities and in collaboration with academic and administrative departments. Other duties will include reference and research support, promotion and outreach, institutional research and assessment, and collection management in areas of expertise.
- Provide leadership and a creative vision for the library instruction program; evaluate existing instructional services and spearhead the development of new instructional offerings
- Plan and deliver systematic assessment and analysis of instruction program activity in order to measure the impact of instruction on student learning
- Work with faculty, librarians, and administrators to ascertain changing curricular requirements and teaching initiatives
- Identify best practices and standards of excellence for teaching; apply relevant technologies to teaching, learning and instructional design
- Provide pedagogical support and training for staff delivering instruction; develop instructional benchmarks against which staff providing library instruction can assess their skills and effectiveness
- Develop and implement tools and programming to encourage library use
- Provide reference and research support via all modalities
- Develop features for the library website to enhance and promote use
- Assist with collection development in areas of expertise
- Perform additional duties as required
- MLS, M.Ed., or equivalent.
- Work experience in an academic library as well as teaching experience.
- Demonstrable expertise in the areas of information literacy, visual literacy, and critical thinking, along with a working knowledge of learning and instructional theories.
- Subject expertise in one or more of the program areas currently in the CCA curriculum and general knowledge about the visual arts and contemporary cultural trends and their sources of documentation.
- Ability to use and develop current technologies as they relate to information seeking, use, and instruction.
- Must have excellent written and oral communication skills for working effectively with students and faculty, a high degree of creativity for developing innovative solutions, an affinity for public service, and good time management and follow-through skills.
- Some scheduling flexibility is required to accommodate instruction and public services needs.
Applicants are requested to state salary history and requirements; position includes a comprehensive benefits package.
Applicants are invited to submit a letter of interest, resume and contact information for three professional references to:
California College of the Arts
Human Resources (Job #2086)
Oakland, CA 94618-1487
Application Deadline: Screening begins immediately and will continue until the position is filled. NOTE: If you wish to be notified of the status of your application for this position, please provide a current email address on your resume or cover letter.
About California College of the Arts
Founded in 1907, California College of the Arts (CCA) is an independent art college with undergraduate programs in architecture, design, fine arts, visual studies, and writing. The college also has graduate programs in architecture, curatorial practice, design, design strategy, fine arts, visual and critical studies and writing. Through these programs, the college has created a dynamic and interdisciplinary environment. Diverse cultural perspectives enrich the CCA community and the college believes that continuing to expand the horizons of the students and faculty is essential to achieving its educational objectives. With campuses in Oakland and San Francisco, CCA currently enrolls 1,930 full-time students.
CCA is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from individuals who will contribute to its diversity.
For more information, see the full posting on CCA’s website.