The Barnes Foundation, Philadelphia, PA
Assistant Art Librarian (Part-time)
Description: The Barnes Foundation is seeking a part-time Assistant Art Librarian to assist the Art Librarian in the operations of the Barnes Foundation’s art library, which serves the informational needs of the staff, students, faculty, and docents of the Barnes Foundation, as well as the general public.
The Barnes Foundation houses one of the finest collections of nineteenth and twentieth-century French painting in the world. An extraordinary number of masterpieces by Renoir, Cézanne and Matisse provide a depth of work by these artists unavailable elsewhere. Established as an educational institution the Barnes carries out its mission teaching classes in its galleries and Arboretum.
- Provide circulation and reference desk coverage as directed by the Art Librarian.
- Provide all forms of reference assistance to the Foundation’s staff, students, faculty, docents, volunteers, and to the public.
- Assist the Art Librarian with all tasks related to the management of the Art Library, as assigned: circulation, reference, collection development, acquisitions, processing, and cataloguing.
- Staff the Art Library in the absence of the Art Librarian.
- Perform other duties as assigned/required by supervisor.
- Required: Enrollment in or completion of an ALA-accredited Master of Library Science program; 1-3 years of library experience; experience working with a variety of patrons in a reference environment; ability to work independently; excellent written and oral communication and interpersonal skills.
- Preferred: Coursework, training, or experience in art librarianship; background in art or art history; reading knowledge of at least one foreign language, preferably French. Must enjoy working with the public.
To Apply: Please apply online
Please create a single document that includes your cover letter, resume and three professional references to upload with your application.
The Barnes Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer.