The Tenement Museum seeks a Collections Manager & Registrar, who will be responsible for the day-to-day oversight and preservation of the Museum’s Collections, which include its historic structures and archive. Responsibilities include accessioning, processing incoming/outgoing loans, maintaining collections data systems, exhibition management, preventative conservation care, archives and records management, and emergency response and recovery. The Collections Manager supervises the work of consultants and interns, and works closely with the Museum’s Education Department and Facilities Department. This position reports to the Director of Curatorial Affairs.
- Manage the conservation program for 97 Orchard Street, overseeing monthly building monitoring and identifying conservation priorities
- Supervise access to the collections and archives, respond to public inquiries regarding the collections, and arrange loans to other cultural institutions.
- Maintain an accessible online photo database; provide access to images and updates image database records accordingly.
- Monitor environmental conditions in the museum and its collections, interpret data from environmental monitoring equipment and determine corrective action.
- Collaborate with the Education Department to identify and assemble materials for use in programs and tours.
- Collaborate with the Director of Curatorial Affairs on collections development and matters related to research on collections items and the museum’s historic properties.
- Contribute to exhibition planning and installation.
- Conduct tours of the Museum for the general public.
Candidates should hold a Masters Degree in Library Science, History, Anthropology, Historic Preservation or related field and have at least 2 years experience. Candidate should be detail oriented, possess strong oral and written communication skills, and have a working knowledge of PastPerfect Museum Software.
Commensurate with experience. Complete benefits package.
Please send cover letter and resume to email@example.com. No phone calls, please.
Deadline to apply: July 15, 2011.