Position title: Book Review Assistant at Library Journal magazine
Hours per week: 10-20 hrs. per week.
Wages: $10 per hour.
Supervisor: Mike Rogers, Senior Editor
Description of duties:
- In the magazine’s bookroom: opening all delivered packages of books that are to be considered for review (the magazine receives approx. 1000 such galleys per week), and placing those books on the proper shelf in the bookroom, by subject category.
- At your workstation: keying in bibliographic information on books that have been assigned for review.
- At your workstation: through LJ’s UPS interface, creating shipping labels, and packing up books for shipment to reviewers or others.
- At your workstation: pasting book reviews into the same database, and formatting them. Likewise for select other magazine columns and articles.
- At your workstation: contacting publicists for cover art, or other information, when requested.
- Assisting book review editors with other projects.
- Other duties as they may arise, as well as opportunities to write your own book reviews under your own byline, working on your own time.
- Must be detail-oriented!
- Experience with accurate database entry work.
- Ease with MS Word and online searching.
- Previous experience in multitasking and prioritizing between obligations, all of which may need your attention on the same day.
- Willingness to undertake repetitive physical work (opening book packages) that has an intellectual component (sorting the books onto proper shelves).
- Proven attention to detail (please furnish contact information for two references, preferably from previous supervisors).
- Familiarity with and interest in the world of books and authors.
- Previous experience at a publisher, magazine, or newspaper and previous writing or editing experience a plus.
- MLS/MLIS students preferred.
Contact: Michael Rogers (MRogers@mediasourceinc.com).