Art Libraries Society of North America
Announces the 2010 Gerd Muehsam Award
Sponsored by the Art Libraries Society of North America (ARLIS/NA), the Gerd Muehsam Award is given annually in recognition of excellence in a graduate student paper or project on a topic relevant to art librarianship. The award was established to honor the memory of Gerd Muehsam (1913-1979), distinguished scholar, teacher, and art bibliographer, whose support of and dedication to ARLIS/NA was an inspiration to her colleagues and students.
* Up to $300 travel reimbursement to attend the ARLIS/NA 39th Annual Conference in Minneapolis, MN, March 24-28, 2011- this year a joint conference with the Visual Resources Association
* Registration fee to this conference
* A one year membership to ARLIS/NA
* The paper or project must have been created or written during the preceding 18 months by a student enrolled in an accredited graduate library program or in a post-graduate library school program in art history or a related discipline
* The paper or project must be in conjunction with a course assignment
* One submission is allowed per person
* Papers: The paper must be 10-25 pages, typed, double-spaced on single sides of 8.5 x 11 inch paper. The paper must include an abstract of 250 words. The title page must include a paper title, the name of the entrant and the institution attended, the name of the faculty member for whom it was written, and the course title. The bibliography and footnotes should follow an accepted format, such as the Chicago Manual of Style or The Elements of Style by Strunk and White. In addition, authors should inform the committee chair if their contribution has been published previously or is being considered for publication.
* Internet projects: If an Internet project, a 250 word summary of the project, its URL, the name of the institution and course for which it was created, and the name of the faculty member assigning the project must be included. It must also be accessible to all of the committee members for review.
* All applicants must include their mailing addresses, email addresses, and telephone numbers with their applications.
* Papers and projects will be judged on their relevance to art librarianship or visual curatorship, depth of research and scholarship, quality of organization, appropriate use of terminology, style and readability, and originality of thought or observation.
* Entries must be postmarked by the end of the day, Friday, November 19, 2010. They will not be returned. All applicants should receive notification of the results by mid-February 2011.
This announcement as well as additional information about ARLIS/NA can be viewed at: http://www.arlisna.org/ and http://www.arlisna.org/about/awards/muehsam_info.html
Mail or Email Entries To
Chair, Gerd Muehsam Award Committee
Sotheby’s Institute of Art
570 Lexington Ave. – 6th floor
New York, NY 10022 USA
E-mail: e.elliott [at] sothebysinstitute [dot] com