Location: Bentonville, ARDepartment: Library and Archives
Type: Full TimeExperience: Experienced
+ View details
The Cataloger/Technical Services Librarian’s primary responsibilities are cataloging, managing the library automation & e-resources technology, and receiving & processing materials for Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art Library. The Catalog/Technical Services Librarian will also support the museum’s general operation by participating on teams and projects, and serve as a reference librarian as needed.
Principal Responsibilities (Essential Functions)
* Cataloging: Responsible for copy and original cataloging; including monographs, serials, electronic resources, and non-standard records for special materials such as exhibition catalogs, archival and digital resources according to current library standards and systems such as LCSH, MARC, AACR2, AAT, ULAN, RDA, FRBR and NISO. Responsible for the selection of bibliographic records for the library ILS; including verifying, updating, and maintaining catalog bibliographic records. Support the level of professionalism and standardization of the museum’s library catalog by maintaining awareness of current MARC standards and LC cataloging practices. Perform bibliographic file maintenance and authority control.
* Library automation & e-resources: Primary liaison with museum IT and object database manager to manage library technology as it integrates with other departments and technologies. Responsible for working with IT to maintain the library ILS and online library databases. Generates reports on library catalog and e-resource database usage, and assists head librarian in assessing e-resources.
* Receiving & processing materials: Assist in the acquisition of library materials by creating order lists and purchase orders. Process incoming books and periodicals and track acquisitions; lead team of staff and volunteers to process incoming library materials.
* Along with the head librarian, participate in ongoing project-based library, archives and digital planning initiatives.
* Support the museum’s general operation by participating on teams and projects as needed.
* Serve as reference librarian for curators, researchers and community members when needed.
* Train staff and volunteers on library technology.
Education, Training, and Traits:
* ALA-accredited Master’s degree in library science
* 2 years experience cataloging (preferably art or museum resources)
* Commitment to contributing to an invigorating museum team, and enhancing library services through a solid work ethic and excellent service skills
* Good oral and written communication skills
* Demonstrated cataloging experience and knowledge of the methods and techniques in acquiring, organizing, preserving, accessing, and/or disseminating information. Requires knowledge of a body of standardized library rules and systems, procedures, and operations used to maintain the collection, locate information and process library materials. This includes but is not limited to: LCSH, MARC, AACR2, AAT, ULAN, RDA, FRBR, NISO and OCLC
* Experience with a bibliographic utility (preferably OCLC) and Innovative Interfaces or similar integrated library system. Demonstrated working knowledge of integrated library systems, electronic subscription databases, and network standards and protocols
Licenses and Certifications:
* Valid Driver’s License with clean driving record
Skills and Abilities:
* Proficiency with standard office equipment and software, including Microsoft Office Suite
* Knowledge of acquiring and processing library materials
* Knowledge of library operating policies and procedures
* Collaborative, team based approach to projects
* Teaching and training skills
* Excellent reference skills
* Ability to meet deadlines and handle multiple tasks simultaneously
* Ability to interact collegially with all employees and volunteers at all levels of responsibility
* Ability to understand and maintain the highest levels of ethics and confidentiality
Preferred Skills and Abilities:
* Art subject cataloging experience preferred
* Experience with Innovative Interfaces/Millennium
* Knowledge of print and electronic sources for art
* Background in art; art history or related field
* Experience working in a museum environment
* Knowledge of archives, rare books and manuscripts
* Experience with digital projects and the application of metadata schemes to organize and provide access to digital collections
* Experience working with volunteers
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
* Physical demands: The position requires verbal and written conversation with others, sitting, standing, walking, bending, climbing, reaching, strenuous lifting/moving objects up to 25 pounds, and use of hands to manipulate, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls. Vision abilities required by the job include close vision and color perception.
* Work Environment: Work will be performed in an office environment, museum spaces, construction site, and in communities served. The noise level in the work environment is usually low to moderate. Position requires some independent overnight travel for research, professional meetings, and other travel as necessary to fulfill responsibilities of the position.
The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the employee in this position. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of a person in this position.
Crystal Bridges offers competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package.
To be considered for candidacy for this position, submit cover letter and resume online or to Human Resources, Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art, P.O. Box 1169 Bentonville, AR 72712-1169. If submitting by mail, please reference Cataloger position opening. No phone calls please.
The successful applicant will be required to pass a routine background and consumer credit check and drug screening.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER