Phoenix Art Museum is looking for a Head Librarian to manage, plan and administer the day-to-
day operations and functions, and preserve and develop the collections of Phoenix Art Museum’s
Lemon Art Research Library to ensure it aligns with the Museum’s objectives. As a member of the
Education Division, the Head Librarian will also support and present programs for target audiences
including classroom educators, general public, and researchers.
Job Duties Include:
1. Conduct research in print and online resources, providing information and materials in response
to requests by members of the public, Museum support organizations, Museum staff and other
comparable art research institutions in North America and abroad.
2. Provide instruction on the use of databases and other electronic information resources. Obtain
specialized materials from other sources; provide access to, and care of, delicate or expensive
3. Provide technical and program support for ARTstor, the Library’s digital image on-line resource.
4. Manage and supervise Library Department staff, docent volunteers and community volunteers.
5. Plan, develop, and implement new library services, policies and procedures according to
statistical data and user feedback. Also contribute to long-term planning of library as an
important component of the Phoenix Art Museum organization.
6. Manage acquisitions, approval, periodical, standing order and subscription programs; develop
and oversee Library Department budget.
7. Publicize collection needs, advise donors on selection of donations, solicit gifts and/or cash
restricted for Library use and accept and acknowledge receipt of gifts.
8. Oversee cataloging and/or indexing of Library materials according to AACR2, LCSH, USMARC,
and LC classification systems, and standard indexing formats.
9. Oversee publication exchange, and duplicates disposal programs.
10. Manage preservation and maintenance of Library collections.
11. Register Phoenix Art Museum publications for Library of Congress Cataloging in Publication,
Books In-Print, Copyright, and ISBN numbers.
12. Represent Phoenix Art Museum through memberships with local, regional and national library
associations and attendance at related events and seminars.
Education and experience:
1. ALA accredited Master of Library Science with an academic background in art, art history or
related discipline, demonstrated through undergraduate or advanced degree, coursework,
and/or work experience.
2. Minimum of five years experience in a library (museum, academic, or public) and institutional
archive, including administrative and supervisory experience.
1. AACR2, LCSH, USMARC, and LC classification systems; Reference resources, both print and
2. Management and leadership principles, including budgeting, procurement, personnel,
communication and time management.
3. Museum programs and practices.
Skill and ability to:
1. Manage department operations; organize and oversee multiple projects concurrently.
2. Provide leadership and build strong interpersonal relationships.
3. Supervise, train, and evaluate volunteers and support staff, including prioritizing and assigning
4. Proficiently use Microsoft Office, ARTstor, electronic information systems, and Internet/email.
5. Communicate effectively and present complex ideas in a clear and compelling manner, both
verbally and in writing, with demonstrated skill in written communications and reading
knowledge in one foreign language.
6. Manage and multitask on several assignments and projects and remain highly organized and
detail oriented, with persistent follow-up and an ability to handle shifting priorities with limited
This is a full-time position and includes: health and dental insurance; life insurance; LTD
coverage; a Museum-funded pension plan; vacation, holiday and sick pay; Museum membership;
and great discounts at the Museum Store, Café, and other cultural organizations in the Valley.
Submit cover letter, resume and salary history to job code PAM-LIB:
Email: HR@phxart.org Fax: (602) 257-2127
Mail: Human Resources Manager
Phoenix Art Museum
1625 N. Central Avenue
Phoenix, AZ 85004-1685
Job Status: full-time, exempt
Pay rate: commensurate with experience. Please include salary history or pay requirements
with cover letter and resume.