|The Reference Librarian is responsible for providing reference, research and information literacy instruction to the campus community, using library materials in all formats. Will assist faculty, students and staff in development of research skills as well as teach patrons how to use the Library’s integrated catalog. Incumbent must assure that the EDMC philosophy: quality services to clients; development, growth, involvement, and recognition of employees; sound economic principles; and environment which is conducive to innovation, positive thinking and expansion – is considered in carrying out the duties and responsibilities of this position.
Key Job Elements:
· Provide reference and assist all students, faculty, and staff with development of research skills.
· Acquire new materials in all formats consistent with overall institutional strategic goals, the library’s collection development policy, and annual budget allocations.
· Assist Director in the cataloguing and processing of new materials in all formats
· Oversee student workers in shelving and inventory of library materials and schedule their work hours to assist in coverage of the circulation desk.
· Serve as coordinator for collection development.
· Assist Director of Library in campus community outreach activities, ensuring that library collections meet user needs.
· Review existing collections for continued curriculum relevance.
· Assist Director of Library in strategic planning and preparation of the annual library budget
· Develop, maintain library operations manual.
· Attend meetings and workshops, and seek additional opportunities for professional development.
· Create, write and update library publications, such as manuals, guides, bookmarks, bibliographies, subject guides and other information literacy/library promotional materials.
· Supervise any ILL services offered and contribute content to library web site.
· Ability to work evening library hours from 12:00 to 9:00 p.m. and the flexibility to cover different schedules if needed. Ability to work Saturday hours as needed.
· Master’s Degree in Library, Information Science, or related from an ALA accredited school
· At least 3 to 5 years experience working in an academic library in a post-secondary institution
· Prior cataloguing experience preferred
· Held positions of increasingly responsible experience in the industry
· Knowledge of subjects usually taught at a post-secondary institution
· Knowledge of integrated library systems, OCLC, MARC records and current technologies
· Fiscal and personnel management expertise.
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
· Strong interpersonal skills with both peer and subordinate personnel.
· Superior organizational skills
· Work effectively a team member to insure that departmental goals are met.
· Ability to work well within the principles and practices of collection development.
· Ability to teach information literacy skills
· Comfort level with expanding and contracting sphere of influence as required at times by the role.
· Ability to frequently lift 10 to 15 pounds.
Internal candidates must first notify their immediate supervisor before contacting:
Director of Human Resources
Miami International University of Art & Design
Apply by visiting this link: