Via ACRL College Libraries listserv. Note that this course is being taught by the legal counsel for RISD, so expect some discussion of copyright policy as it pertains to artwork and art-centric institutions. It is offered by the Center for Intellectual Property and can be taken as a stand-alone course or towards CIP certification.
Institutional Copyright Policies
January 14-29, 2010
Instructor: Steven McDonald, J.D., General Counsel, Rhode Island School of Design
This online workshop will help you evaluate & answer some of the many questions that flow from the process of policy development within the arena of higher education. Who owns the work? And who can do what with the work? Is cyberspace a separate jurisdiction with a different set of rules than the physical world? Does the institution need a new policy and resource, or is a current policy sufficient and applicable-or adaptable-to the technologies, opportunities, and demands of academic life, both online and offline, in the digital era?
Goals for the course:
In this course, participants will:
1. Gain a practical understanding of basic copyright principles as they apply in and to higher education generally;
2. Learn how to evaluate institutional copyright policies and discuss the development and modification of those policies;
3. Understand the policies and technical steps your institution will need to implement in order to take full advantage of the opportunities that copyright law allows;
4. Gain a greater understanding of Internet law and policy;
5. Be encouraged to think about how copyright policies can serve the educational mission.
Advance your career. The new certification program Copyright Leadership in Higher Education requires that participants take one elective workshop in addition to the core course Foundations in Copyright Management and Leadership. This foundations course will be offered March 29 – May 21, 2010. Register for certification today and receive this elective workshop for free. Learn more at http://www.cipcommunity.org/certification.
Please see linked website for more information-
SIGN UP TODAY: http://tinyurl.com/nuw58g [Secured Server]