California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo (Cal Poly)
The Robert E. Kennedy Library at Cal Poly seeks an enterprising library professional ready to play a key role in teaching 21st century information skills to students in a selective, multidisciplinary polytechnic environment. Cal Poly enjoys a national reputation as the best largely undergraduate public university in the West, with highly selective programs and outstanding students.
Serving as the Library’s primary liaison to Cal Poly’s College of Architecture and Environmental Design (CAED), the Architecture Librarian will work closely with CAED faculty to develop strategies and learning resources that will help CAED students acquire the information, media, and digital literacy skills critical to their lifelong professional success. The Architecture Librarian will develop assignments for hands-on in-class work, and web-based instruction resources, including web-based research guides; provide expert consultative reference services; and help shape the Library’s collections to support teaching and research in the College. The Architecture Librarian works closely with the staff and collections of the CAED Media Resources Center.
The Architecture Librarian will join a collaborative team of library faculty at Cal Poly in San Luis Obispo on California’s beautiful central coast. The successful candidate will bring a strong background in information resources in architecture, enjoy working closely with faculty and students, and will have demonstrated skills in instruction as well as the use of technology to meet student and faculty information needs. Knowledge and experience with using GIS or with visual resources librarianship is preferred.
This position requires an MLS or equivalent degree from an accredited institution or comparable library experience with a second related advanced subject degree. Recent degree candidates are encouraged to apply.
This full time tenure-track position is available at the Senior Assistant or Associate Librarian level, with an anticipated hiring range of $57,000-$70,000 plus a generous benefits package. Appointment rank and salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
For a complete job description, application instructions, and more information about the Kennedy Library, please see: http://lib.calpoly.edu/about/jobs/
Review of applications will begin October 5, 2009. Cal Poly is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer.
- MLS or equivalent degree from an ALA accredited school, or comparable library experience with other related advanced subject degree
- demonstrated active and current interest in issues within the discipline of architecture or related fields
- experience instructing adult learners
- demonstrated facility with web-based technologies
- demonstrated commitment to public service
- excellent oral and written communication skills
- willingness to spend substantial time outside the library to support faculty and students
- ability to work effectively as part of a team working with culturally diverse faculty, students, and staff
- ability to articulate a genuine enthusiasm for this position
- academic background in architecture, planning, or a related field
- experience working in architectural studio environments
- professional experience working in an academic library
- classroom teaching experience
- collection development experience
- demonstrated knowledge or experience with visual information resources
- experience using instructional or research information technologies, including spatial software (GIS)
- demonstrated ability to plan and implement new projects
Information and Application Process Instructions
http://lib.calpoly.edu/about/jobs http://www.calpolyjobs.org (refer to # 101945)
Cal Poly State Universtiy
San Luis Obispo , CA 93407