|Humanities Librarian, Job ID: 30546
MLS from an ALA-accredited program and a second Master’s degree or Ph.D in humanities discipline is required. Applicants who agree to complete the MLS within a specified period of time may be considered. Rank and title is based on education and experience. Ability to provide advanced research assistance in assigned areas. Expertise in assigned subjects sufficient to assess the curricular and research needs of the University in those areas and expertise to build collections to meet those needs. Effective oral and written communication skills. Demonstrated ability to work independently and to collaborate effectively with faculty, students, library staff and with people of diverse backgrounds. Flexibility in adapting to evolving departmental and organizational priorities and technological environments.
Minimum of 2 years professional experience in an academic library.
Working knowledge of a foreign language.
Record of scholarly publications and/or presentations.
BENEFITS: This is a full-time, 12-month non-tenured faculty appointment. Benefits include 22 days vacation, 13 days sick leave. Group, medical, dental, and life insurance, an optional retirement program or state retirement, and no state or local income tax. With supervisor s approval, may qualify for University tuition scholarship for up to six hours credit each semester.
Located in beautiful Tallahassee, Florida s capital city, a growing community with a population of more than 215,000, the Florida State University, a public, coeducational institution of the 11-member State University System of Florida, has an enrollment of over 33,000 students. The Library system includes ten libraries and a variety of subject based Library Resource Reading Rooms. Campus libraries have combined volume holdings totaling over 3 million volumes. The Library is a member of ARL, ASERL, CRL, RLG, OCLC, and Lyrasis. For more information about the Florida State University Libraries, see our home page at: http://www.lib.fsu.edu/.
ANTICIPATED DATE OF HIRE: September 2009
Roy Ziegler, Associate Director for Collection Development,
Phone: (850) 644-3022
Fax: (850) 644-5016
The Florida State University Libraries seeks a knowledgeable, enthusiastic and energetic librarian who wants an opportunity to participate in a wide range of services and professional responsibilities in a dynamic environment to fill a Humanities Librarian position. The Humanities Librarian has responsibility for developing the collections and services that support the curriculum and research for English, Comparative Literature, Modern and Classical Languages, Classics, Philosophy, Religion, and similar fields. The Research Librarian for the Humanities is part of the Scholars Commons, a team-managed department that primarily serves graduate students and faculty.
1. Develop, manage, and revise collection development policy statements for assigned humanities subjects.
2. Provide leadership to academic departments and programs in selecting items to be added to the collection through firm orders.
3. Review gift book collections and makes decisions on items to be added to the collection.
4. Periodically review books being added to the collection through the Libraries approval plans to determine when the plans need to be updated.
5. Provide quality reference services and research consultations to patrons in the humanities area.
6. Provide information literacy and course-integrated learning activities, including workshops and tutorials to users in the humanities.
7. Promote the use of library resources and services to faculty and students of the humanities through programming and marketing activities.
8. Develop Web pages, research guides, and other tools that assist students in the humanities in using the library and it resources.
9. Consult with humanities faculty, academic researchers, staff and students; and collaborate with library and teaching faculty on developing new methods of delivering research assistance and learning activities.
10. Serve on Library and/or University committees.
11. Contribute to state, regional, and national committees and participate in research, publication, and other professional and scholarly activities.
12. Some evening and weekend hours are required.
Salary Range: 42,000 to negotiable depending on qualifications.
How To Apply
If qualified and interested in a specific vacancy as advertised, apply to Florida State University at https://jobs.fsu.edu.
Applicants are required to complete the online application with all applicable information. Applications must include work history and all education details (if applicable) even if attaching a resume. In one attachment, please include a cover letter with a complete statement of qualifications, a full resume of education and relevant experience, and the names, telephone numbers and e-mail addresses of at least three persons who are knowledgeable about the applicant’s qualifications for this position. Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.