Job Title: Cataloging Fellowship
Organization: Jean Outland Chrysler Library / Chrysler Museum of Art
Location: Norfolk, Virginia,
The Jean Outland Chrysler Library seeks a graduate, or recently graduated library and information science student interested in career as a cataloger in archives or libraries. Qualified applicants will:
Be current graduate students in good standing in a library science, information studies, preservation, archives or related program
Have experience in technical services and cataloging or have significant coursework in relevant areas.
Have knowledge of MARC, LCSH, AACR2.
Have familiarity with art history research materials
Have good computer skills and familiarity with searching bibliographic databases.
Be detail oriented, organized and flexible with the ability to work independently.
Cataloging Fellows will have the opportunity to work on a variety of cataloging and technical services projects. Responsibilities will include:
- Assisting with the acquisitions workflow including accession records, physical processing and tracking of materials prior to cataloging.
- Copy, derived, or original cataloging; Fellows will assist with cataloging materials in various formats including books, periodicals, archives, etc.
- Some work with other formats including serials and audio-visual materials.
- Technical processing of library materials
- Introductory cataloging of rare books and unique materials.
- Regular reports of project progress and participation in Library outreach activities including presentations to the public.
- Some reaching and lifting may be required.
Applicants must commit to 10 consecutive weeks of employment. Fellows will receive a stipend of $5,000 to be used for housing, travel and other expenses. The stipend will be divided into three payments: one upon starting, the second halfway through and the third upon completion of the internship.
To apply, candidates should submit: a letter of recommendation from an academic advisor or work supervisor, a cover letter, and a resume. Cover letters should highlight previous employment, coursework, and/or other qualifications.
Applications may be sent via e-mail (email@example.com) or mail to:
The Jean Outland Chrysler Library 245 West Olney Rd. Norfolk, VA 23510
Only those applicants who are chosen for possible placement will be contacted within two weeks of the respective application deadline to arrange for an interview.