DESIGN RESEARCH LIBRARIAN
MATERIAL RESOURCES LIBRARIAN
IMAGE RESOURCES CURATOR
Positions Located in Qatar – Positions Begin July 1, 2009
VCUQatar (www.qatar.vcu.edu) is a four-year, degree granting campus of Virginia Commonwealth University, School of the Arts, ranked by U.S. News and World Report as the leading art and design program among all U.S. public universities. The fully accredited School is located in Doha, the capital city of Qatar. VCUQatar is affiliated with the Qatar Foundation for Education, Science, and Community Development (www.qf.org.qa). Celebrating ten years of operation, VCUQatar offers BFA degrees in Fashion Design, Graphic Design, and Interior Design with the majority of students from the Gulf region and approximately 30% international. A Master of Fine Arts in Design is undergoing final review for implementation in Fall 2009, becoming the first MFA in Design in the Gulf. VCUQatar was the first campus established in Education City and has since been joined by Carnegie-Mellon University (Business and Computer Science), Cornell University’s Weill School of Medicine, Georgetown University School of Foreign Service, Northwestern University (Journalism and Communication), and Texas A & M University (Engineering).
DESIGN RESEARCH LIBRARIAN – The Design Research Librarian will support the students and faculty in the new MFA in Design program. Develops and delivers a program of graduate-level library instruction and other services based on the new curriculum. Works with graduate students to plan research projects and strategies for design problems, develops outreach strategies targeted to graduate-level students, many of whom speak English as a second language, and advises on collection development to support research. Participates in general library instruction and reference services.
* Master’s degree in Library/Information Sciences or accredited graduate degree in related discipline.
* Substantial reference and instruction experience in an academic library.
* Knowledge of research methods and tools in design or related field.
MATERIAL RESOURCES LIBRARIAN – The Material Resources Librarian will provide direction, inspiration and support for materials research for design programs. Responsible for building, organizing, and updating a collection of materials samples and professional-level product literature for VCUQatar design disciplines. Designs services including access to and information about materials and the collection, research support for students and faculty, maintains industry connections and procure materials internationally.
* Bachelor’s degree (graduate degree preferred) in design-related discipline or materials-based design field.
* Substantial experience managing materials collection in academic setting or professional design office.
IMAGE RESOURCES CURATOR – The Image Resources Curator manages the day-to-day operations of the Image Resource Library and Archives and delivers user services. Collaborates with faculty and IRL staff to continue the development of a proactive service to support curriculum, research, and administrative activities. Responsible for ongoing collection development in coordination with the Head of Image IRL and performs cataloging and database management. Provides workshops and individual support for faculty use of image resources for teaching, learning and scholarship.
* Master’s degree in Art History or related field or Master’s degree in Library/Information Science with additional degree or substantial knowledge of Art History field.
* Substantial experience working with image resource collections and digital imaging technologies.
Review of applications begins December 1, 2008 and will continue until positions are filled.
* Competitive international salary
* Tax protection for U.S. Taxpayers
* 30% Off-shore supplement to base salary
* Medical Insurance (100% employer funded premium and employer cost shared options available)
* Fully furnished villa or apartment including utility allowance and wireless internet
* Annual travel allowance to home of record (to include a spouse and dependents relocated to Qatar)
* Monthly transportation allowance
* Educational reimbursement for up to 4 dependent children enrolled in an accredited K-12 program
* International Professional Development and Research Opportunities
Application Process: Qualified applicants who have a record of achievement appropriate to VCUQatar should submit a letter of interest with a curriculum vitae, unofficial transcripts, and the names of five references including email and telephone contact information to Ryan Ellington (email@example.com), Human Resources Administrator. Only Electronic submissions will be accepted.
For more information on VCUQatar and these unique international opportunities, please visit www.vcu.edu/arts/employment/qatar
Virginia Commonwealth University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer.
Women, minorities and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.