Associate Librarian, Christie’s
Reporting to the AVP Head Librarian, the Associate Librarian will be responsible for the following: overseeing database research resources; providing training in the use of these resources; maintaining relationships with the electronic resource vendors; cataloguing books in an ongoing retrospective conversion project; providing reference and research services; overseeing check-in of auction catalogues and generating price lists; managing Christie’s Library Intern program; and representing Christie’s at professional organizational meetings.ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS (Duties include but are not limited to the following):
• Oversee a variety of art research databases made available to Christie’s globally, primarily located on the Reference Desk page of the Intranet. The Associate Librarian will be responsible for maintaining these databases on a daily basis by fielding any problems as they arise: liaising with staff, vendor and IT. This includes over 30 resources, including Artnet, ArtFact, Gordon’s, the Christie’s Library Collection and Nexis. Both the Head Librarian and the Associate Librarian will handle negotiations with the vendor. The Associate Librarian will research major new databases, as they come available.
• Provide formal training classes monthly to demonstrate available research resources and instruct new staff and interns on how to use them.
• Reference and research: The Librarians conduct Nexis searches for senior management and the Client Development department daily, including the location of materials at local libraries (Frick, Met, MOMA) for staff at deadline, and utilizing contacts with Art Library Society colleagues. Field many auction catalogue and art related queries from internal staff and interns.
• Check in approximately 1200 auction catalogues per year, and monthly generate and tip price lists in each catalogue. Prepare binding.
• Continue the retrospective conversion project in departmental libraries. There are still 6 departments that need to be catalogued.
• Recruit interns from Pratt and Queens College MLS programs up to two (2) times per year.
• Represent Christie’s at professional organizational meetings, including the ARLIS annual conference, as the budget allows.
• Other duties as assigned by manager.
• Work is performed primarily in an office setting.
• Noise level in the work environment is moderate.
• Infrequent light physical effort required.
TOOLS & EQUIPMENT USED
Basic office equipment including personal computer, copy machine, fax machine, scanner, office supplies.
Please submit a resume & cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org and indicate Associate Librarian in the subject line.
• Bachelor’s degree in Art History preferred; MLS degree strongly preferred; or equivalent work experience.
• A minimum of one (1) year of related work experience.
• Knowledge of a second language preferred.
• Knowledge of electronic resources, including proficiency with art database programs and the Internet.
• Knowledge of Inmagic Genie and Nexis a plus.
• Knowledge of E-mail, Spreadsheet, Word Processing and Presentation software (Microsoft Office preferred).
• Ability to learn Christie’s systems.
• Strong typing skills.
• Excellent organizational skills.
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, including superior written and spoken communication.
• Superior client service skills.
• Ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
• Demonstrated ability to multi-task and prioritize.
• Strong follow-up skills with attention to detail.