SOUTHERN ILLINOIS UNIVERSITY CARBONDALE
Title of Position: Fine Arts Librarian
Appointment: Assistant Professor, full-time, 12 month, continuing
Available: May 1, 2008
Environment: The library services of Southern Illinois University
Carbondale (SIUC) are centralized in Morris Library. The Library holds
more than 2.5 million volumes, 3.6 million microform units, over 30,000
current periodicals and serials, and a wide-range of electronic
resources and databases. As the campus center for access to academic
information and collaborative academic technology projects, the Library
provides assistive services including reference, instructional and
technical support, distance learning, geographic information systems
(GIS), and multimedia courseware development. Morris Library is a member
of the Association of Research Libraries and the Greater Western Library
Alliance. Librarians at SIUC are faculty and are covered by collective
bargaining. In January 2006, the Library began an extensive and complete
renovation and expansion of Morris Library, which represents the largest
capital construction project in the history of the University.
Additional information about SIUC and Library Affairs is available on
the World Wide Web (http://www.lib.siu.edu).
Responsibilities: Under the general direction of the Head of Reference
Services, the Fine Arts Librarian provides reference, instruction, and
library services to the University community. Responsibilities include:
* Assisting patrons at the Information Desk with research and
reference questions, including limited nights and weekends; helping
patrons to identify and locate library materials and resources using
both print and electronic resources – in person, via email, or online.
* Teaching the general use of the Library’s resources and
technology as appropriate.
* Serving as the subject specialist and liaison to departments in
the Fine and Performing Arts and other appropriate academic departments;
providing formal and informal instruction in library usage for these
departments; assisting with subject-specific research queries in areas
* Participate in the library’s scholarly communication
initiatives, including the population of the Institutional Repository.
* Maintaining service contributions to Library Affairs, the
University, and the profession.
* Continuing to develop in librarianship and subject specialty
through research contributions, conference and/or workshop attendance,
and other educational activities.
* Performing other appropriate duties.
* ALA-accredited master’s degree in Library Science. (Candidates
are expected to have completed all requirements for this degree before
the date of appointment. If all requirements have not been completed, a
one-year term appointment at the rank of Instructor at a lower salary
will be offered.)
* Familiarity with reference sources in an academic library.
* Demonstrated skills in instruction and development of effective
* Knowledge of or coursework in one of the Fine or Performing
* Working knowledge of a wide variety of information technology
applications and proficiency in the use of general and subject-specific
print and electronic reference resources.
* Demonstrated strong interpersonal and communication skills, both
oral and written.
* Ability to organize work and meet deadlines.
* Interest and potential to meet established Library Affairs
criteria for promotion and tenure, including professional service and
* A degree (bachelor’s or above) in one of the Fine or Performing
* Experience in providing reference service (including web-based
services), library instruction, and library web development in an
* Fluency in Spanish.
Salary: Competitive, $41,000 minimum
Deadline for Application: February 8, 2008, or until filled
Application: Submit a letter of application stating qualifications and
background for this position, a resume, and names, addresses, telephone
numbers, and e-mail addresses (if available) of three professional
references. References may be contacted by Morris Library and asked to
comment on your experience and qualifications for this position. All
materials should be addressed to:
Sherry Elders, Personnel Coordinator
Mail Code 6632
Southern Illinois University Carbondale
605 Agriculture Drive
Carbondale, IL 62901
SIUC is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer that strives to
enhance its ability to develop a diverse faculty and staff and to
increase its potential to serve a diverse student population. All
applications are welcomed and encouraged and will receive consideration.