Under the supervision of the Director of Libraries, the Art and Architecture Librarian provides high-quality services in subject areas related to Pratt’s art and architecture collection. Responsibilities include collection development in architecture, fashion and industrial design; instruction; committee and task force work within and outside the Library; serving as liaison to the Schools of Art and Design and Architecture; and other activities deemed necessary for the smooth provision of information services. This is a full-time twelve (12) month per year tenure-track faculty position at the assistant/associate professor rank. Some evening hours are required.
– Provide leadership in the planning, design and provision of library instructional, reference and public access services, including the production and revision of library guides.
– Provide individual and group library instruction.
– Work collaboratively with other library faculty in developing credit courses addressing information literacy and research skills.
– Serve as a liaison to the instructional faculty in the Schools of Art & Design, and Architecture (i.e., develop and maintain appropriate departmental contacts to identify reserve items and materials to be added to the collection; assist with incorporating informational resources into the curriculum; etc.).
– Oversee special and ongoing projects related to the maintenance and integrity of the art and architecture collection.
– Participate in training of clerical staff, student assistants and graduate assistants and monitor their workflow.
– Contribute to the library’s public relations efforts.
– Participate in grant writing and seeking outside funding sources for the libraries.
– Participate in library-wide planning and governance, library and institute committees, and other activities as appropriate.
– Perform all other related duties as assigned.
Salary: Mid 40’s with excellent benefits.
ALA accredited MLS and academic background in art and/or architecture required. Graduate degree or graduate level academic preparation in the history or practice of Architecture, Art, Design, or other arts related discipline preferred.
Must have experience providing library public services in an academic context. Experience providing library related instruction and experience with electronic resources and integrated library systems also required. One to two years’ professional experience in an academic library preferred.
Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and the ability to work effectively with a culturally diverse population are essential.
Must be flexible, enthusiastic to learn, creative, willing to embrace change and have the ability to work comfortably in a shared decision-making environment. Commitment to professional development required; must show evidence or promise of professional contributions beyond the primary job,(i.e., publications, active participation in the Institute and professional organizations, and other research and creative activity) which are required for reappointment, promotion and tenure.
Application deadline: 7/1/07. Please submit your CV, cover letter and the names and contact information for three professional references, indicating position code AAlib in the subject line to:
***Proof of identity and eligibility to work in the U.S. will be required upon employment.***
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER