Student Stipend Award to Attend the Special Libraries Association Conference
June 3-6, Denver, CO
The News Division of the Special Libraries Association invites graduate students and December 2006 graduates interested in a career in news librarianship to apply for the Vormelker-Thomas Student Award.
The award, co-sponsored by the News Division and ProQuest, is a $1,500 stipend to allow a student to attend his or her first Special Libraries Association Conference. This year’s conference is June 3-6 in Denver, Colorado. Al Gore and Scott Adams are the keynote and closing speakers. This is an excellent opportunity to meet library professionals and learn new skills.
Applications are due in a week: Friday, March 23.
- Applicants must be members of SLA when they apply for the award.
- Applicants must be attending their first SLA conference.
- Applicants must be graduate students or December 2006 graduates.
- Applications must include:
- A word-processed essay (500-1,000 words) addressing an issue in news librarianship
- A letter of reference from a news librarian, a news editor or a faculty member (This may be included with the other materials or sent directly from the reference. If the reference sends, please include a note with the other materials stating this.)
- A resume
- A statement of professional goals
- A statement of what the applicant expects to gain from attending the conference
- Applications must be e-mailed no later than Friday, March 23, 2007.
- E-mail applications to:
Association of College and University Housing Officers
Ohio State University
The winner will receive a check prior to the conference in June so reservations and flight schedules can be made. The winning essay will appear in an issue of News Library News.
The News Division reserves the right not to award the stipend if there are no suitable applicants.
Please share this notice with people who may be interested.
About the News Division: http://www.ibiblio.org/slanews/about/about.htm
The News Division’s SLA home: http://www.ibiblio.org/slanews/index.html