Assistant Curator of Visual Resources
Employer Website: http://inside.bard.edu/campus/departments/slide_library
Department: Visual Resources/Art History Program
Reports to: The Curator of Visual Resources
The Visual Resources department at Bard College is seeking an
Assistant Curator of Visual Resources to help us provide our patrons
with access to slides, digital images, and image technology training
in order to enhance classroom experience and promote critical visual
literacy skills. Our image collection consists of approximately
130,000 slides and 11,000 digital images that are made available to
faculty and students using the MDID (Madison Digital Image Database)
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
Intake and Tracking of Image Requests, Cataloging Images
· Initiate and process faculty image orders for scanning and cataloging.
· Manage cataloging workflow.
· Research and catalog image resources according to VRA standards
and standards established by the Curator of Visual Resources.
· Develop and maintain authority records and appropriate
controlled vocabularies to support the cataloging of image resources.
· As needed, track digital image orders, from the initial request
to delivery to the patron. Oversee, in coordination with a student
Image Production Assistant, the uploading and archiving of digital
Supervision of student VR assistants
· Assist Curator of Visual Resources with training, supervision
and quality control for 5-7 student VR staff members.
Help Desk and Reference
· Greet patrons and demonstrate image checkout procedures.
· Assist patrons with locating appropriate images (in slide
drawers, digital image database, and subscription databases).
· Assist students and faculty with the use of VR and classroom
equipment, including analog and digital copystand photography,
scanning, Photoshop, Powerpoint, ARTstor OIV software.
· Resolve outstanding slide and VR equipment loans.
· Requires B.A. in Art History (or related field), with excellent
knowledge of Art History, Architectural History, and the History of
· M.A. in Art History (or related field) preferred. MLS and/or
previous library experience is highly desirable.
· Working knowledge of French, German, or Italian desirable.
· Fluency with PC computer platforms.
· Familiarity with scanning and image correction in Photoshop.
· Experience using FileMaker Pro and such digital asset
management systems as MDID, Luna Insight, or ContentDM. Experience
with IRIS preferred but not required.
· Familiarity with standardized cataloguing procedures, as set
forth by CCO (Cataloging Cultural Objects) and the VRA Core, as well
as the Getty and Library of Congress Authorities.
· The ideal candidate will be detail and service-oriented,
professional, reliable and able to work efficiently and effectively
Review of applications will begin immediately.
Send letter of application, resume, contact information for three
references, and salary requirements to: Human Resources-0107, Bard
College, PO Box 5000, Annandale-On-Hudson, NY 12504-5000 or fax to
845-758-7826 or email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information visit http://www.bard.edu and